Dealing with a Challenge? Ask these 3 Questions
Struggle changes us. When we become bigger than our challenges, a new version of us emerges.
If you, or your team, face a challenge, which feels like you are stuck and have limited resources and options of movement (like the chrysalis), I invite you to give yourself a pat on the back or hug first – being in that situation is not easy. It can be really tough. It is ok to feel sad, upset around it, or even anxious. Even this is a part of the human experience. Allowing yourself to feel it doesn’t make you weak.
Be the first one to speak kindly to yourself in that situation. Notice if any self-judgments and harsh comments by your inner critic come up. If so, notice it, and know, also this is a common part of our human experience and there is a way through it.
Take a deep breath or two. Or take as many as you need till you feel that at least some tension releases your body.
When mentally feeling a bit better (after a walk, taking a few deep breaths or any other technique you use to help you calm anxiety/stress), I invite you to pause and ask yourself (your team) these three questions and see if they create an opening for a new version of you to emerge.
Ask one at a time, or all – depending on what works for you/your team.
Here it comes:
– Imagine the challenge got resolved and you are looking back at it, and hear and see yourself saying: “even though this was painful and tough, it turned out to be such a blessing in disguise. So many things have transformed for the better as a result “
– What could be some of the areas of your life or business that transformed for the better? How?
– Some optional prompts to nurture the answer seed in your mind around that:
– What are the gifts? New opportunities? Skills and strengths? Knowledge? Inspiration to create something extraordinary? Something completely new and awesome? Something that prevented a bigger and worse challenge or loss? Or provided a contribution to others you never dreamed possible?
Do any of these resonate?
– What needs to be added so that you (your team) become bigger and more powerful than the challenge?
– Skills? Knowledge? People? Perspective? What else?
– What needs to be removed, let go of, or decreased so that you can become bigger and more powerful than the challenge?
– Even if the answer doesn’t come immediately, plant the seed in your mind(s), and heart(s), and give it space & time.
If you are still reading – KUDOS!! I have no doubts you will find the answer or it will come to you- one way or another.
It might come to you tomorrow, in a year, or tonight in the shower.
Trust your mind and heart to find the answer that will transform you or your whole team and open up new horizons for you – perhaps some you even haven’t even thought possible before.